Pro IQRA News Updates.
Australia all-rounder Mitchell Marsh on Thursday said he will not bowl in the three one-day internationals in India after returning from a long injury lay-off.
The tourists, who went down in the four-Test series 2-1, will begin the ODI leg of their tour with Friday’s opener in Mumbai.
Marsh went under the knife late last year for a long-term problem with his left ankle, with loose bone fragments removed and the cartilage repaired.
“I’m not going to bowl this series,” the 31-year-old Marsh said.
“Probably a month to go, three weeks to bowl in the game, maybe against the IPL (Indian Premier League). There are a lot of options in our team at the moment and a lot of cricket to be played this year.”
He added: “The reason I had this operation was to prolong my career as an all-rounder and I will not rush back.”
Marsh, a hard-hitting batsman in the middle order, said he had come back from the injury a “better version” of himself.
Steve Smith will lead the team in Pat Cummins’ absence as Australia kick-start preparations for the ODI World Cup in India later this year.
“As every team would do now in the next six months or so, building towards the World Cup … you might see (us) play some different lineups, experiment with some guys,” he said.
David Warner is expected to return after leaving the Test series midway through with concussion and a hairline fracture in his elbow.
Marsh said the team “will not rush back” the left-handed opener unless he is fully recovered.