Fear that the killer Travis Pamkardner may get parole in advance Pi News

News Details

“June 15 robbery, assault and murder took place,” Diane and Mike Elesick one day in 2012 will never be forgotten.

“Just minutes after midnight, a group of five people from the G4S armored car company entered the Hub Mall to put some cash in the ATM machine,” Diane said.

“Within minutes, a colleague shot all three of them in that small room. He shot them in the head and started firing at a fellow guard in a G4S armored vehicle.

Their son Brian Ilesik (35), Michelle Shekelsky (26) and Eddie Rezano (39) were killed. Matt Schuman survived but was left with permanent brain injuries.

Travis Pamkardner was sentenced to 40 years in prison, the most severe sentence since the death penalty was abolished in Canada in 1962.

“He has been incarcerated for 40 years so Mike and Diane and their families and all the other families of the victims do not have to endure a parole trial,” said Michael Cooper, a Conservative MP for St. Albert – Edmonton. During a news conference with Ilesics.

“All of this is now in jeopardy as a result of the Supreme Court ruling in Bisonet.”

Canada’s Supreme Court has overturned legislation passed by former Stephen Harper Conservatives that would allow a judge to extend the parole eligibility period for perpetrators of multiple murders. Now there is a fear that it will mean a “waiver” of punishment for other mass murderers.

“This decision of the Supreme Court only benefits one group and one group of Canadians, and it is the worst gallery of the worst mass murderers,” Cooper said.

“Our son’s killer was granted parole 40 years ago, and 10 years have passed since this change, so we can come to a parole hearing in 15 years,” Mike Ilesik said.

Attending Mike’s parole trial means seeing his son’s killer, something he does not want to do.

“Basically we’re reminiscing about the tragedy then, maybe if he had been in custody for 40 years without a parole qualifying date, who knows, at my age I would not have had to be there,” he said.

Ilesix said the Supreme Court ruling made them feel “pressured”.

“The Supreme Court has said that parole is unrealistic and unreasonable for offenders. The Supreme Court has also said that life imprisonment without a reasonable probability of parole would be catastrophic for the perpetrators. Really? What about the consequences for the victims and the survivors?”

“Yeah, 10 years have passed, but every year this case brings back even more tragic memories,” Diane said.

With the help of their local MP, the couple is hoping to get the federal government’s attention. Cooper said Canada’s Minister of Justice and the Attorney General could take action against the decision.

“However without the rule we would not have a charter. It is, it is a tool to be used. It should never be used lightly, but it’s an opportunity to be, “Cooper said.

“It simply came to our notice then. It is unfair not to take every personal life into account, ”he added.

Cooper said the government could also introduce a new law.

“That decision did not prevent the minister and the government from introducing a new law. In fact, parliament has a lot of flexibility to pass a law that allows a judge to exercise his discretion. A person convicted of multiple murders is ineligible for parole for more than 25 years.

CTV News contacted the office of Edmonton Minister David Lametti and commented.