Hockey Canada’s CEO resigns | Pro IQRA News

Pro IQRA News Updates.

The latest development in the Hockey Canada saga saw Michael Brind’Amour step down Friday night as its chairman, effective immediately.

“My final term ends in November 2022, and I know there’s no need to wait for a new era. Immediate action is essential to address the important challenges facing our organization and our sport,” Brendamor stated via Hockey Canada news site. Release.

Hockey Canada’s board and members will meet in the coming days to determine next steps and appoint an interim president.

The next board election for the annual meeting is scheduled for November.

In June, the federal government froze the organization’s access to public funds due to its response to an alleged sexual assault and subsequent out-of-court settlement.

A woman filed a $3.5 million lawsuit in April who said in 2018 that eight hockey players, including members of the Canada World Junior Team, sexually assaulted her. Canadian hockey reached a settlement with a young woman the following month.

The complainant says she has always cooperated fully with the police investigation of her case, even though Hockey Canada originally said she had not.

come straight | The Minister of Sports discusses the last meeting with the sports ministers in the governorates:

Sports Minister Pascal Saint Aung discusses the latest meeting with regional sports ministers

Sports Minister Pascal Saint Ong is meeting with her provincial counterparts, as the Canadian hockey game faces criticism over its handling of sexual assault allegations against professional hockey players.

Recently, Canadian retail giant Telus and telecommunications company Telus, among others, temporarily halted their sponsorship of Hockey Canada.

Last month, Hockey Canada executives testified before a House of Commons committee on Wednesday that they had paid $8.9 million in sexual assault settlements to 21 complainants since 1989 from the National Equity Fund, which they said stemmed from membership fees and investments.

Watch | Hockey Canada has paid 21 sexual misconduct settlements since 1989

Hockey Canada has paid 21 settlements for sexual misconduct since 1989

Hockey Club Canada officials have revealed that the organization has paid nearly $9 million in settlements since 1989 to 21 people alleging sexual misconduct.

“I have listened carefully and attentively to the comments of Canadians about the culture of our sport and our organization, and about our actions and leadership,” Brendamor said in a statement. “I understand that the measures we have taken in recent weeks are part of the solution.

“I am assured that The Honorable Thomas Cromwell, CC, has agreed to lead a governance review of our organization that will assist us in making the required changes. I am confident that the recommendations will guide the organization into the future of desired change.”

Canada’s 13 regional hockey federations announced Friday that they are threatening to withhold dues payments to Hockey Canada due to the organization’s alleged mishandling of sexual assault allegations in 2018.

Led by Quebec Hockey, the organizations sent a letter Thursday requesting a detailed action plan and an “extraordinary” meeting by the end of November to address their concerns.

The statement of the lawsuit, which was not substantiated in court, said the hockey players brought golf clubs into the hotel room to further intimidate her, ordered the woman to shower after the sexual assault and told her to say she was sober while she was being videotaped. Approval video.

WATCH: Hockey Canada will ban players who do not cooperate with the investigation:

Lawyer Danielle Ropitel says Canadian hockey will ban players who do not participate in the investigation

Robitaille appeared before a standing committee in the House of Commons examining allegations of sexual abuse in sport. Robitaille said that legal counsel for eight of the nine players she did not speak with told her they were concerned about prejudgment by Hockey Canada.

As first reported by the Globe and Mail earlier this week, the complainant’s attorney Robert Tallach released a statement saying that his client had made it clear to police in June 2018 that she wanted to pursue criminal charges.

Tallach provided a series of new details about the case, including that his client spoke with a whistleblower within days of the alleged sexual assault and performed a physical examination at the hospital.

Talach said his client later gave her clothes to the police for examination and met her on two other occasions that summer. Seven months later, she was told the investigation was closed and no charges would be brought.

After public outcry erupted, the chief of London police recently announced that he would conduct an internal review “to determine what additional avenues of investigation, if any, exist”.

Tallach said his law firm set up a polygraph test for the woman and that she passed. The results have since been submitted to police, hockey team investigators Canada and the National Hockey Federation, which in May launched its own investigation.

Tallach confirmed that his client would not sit down for an interview with Hockey Canada or NHL investigators because she had already submitted an eight-page statement, five pages of photos, and 4.5 pages of text messages.

.