Moscow and Kyiv exchange accusations after shelling of Ukraine’s nuclear plant | Pro IQRA News

Pro IQRA News Updates.

Russia’s Defense Ministry on Friday accused Ukrainian forces of shelling the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest, saying the radiation release was “only fate.”

As a result, the production capacity of one unit was reduced and power supply to another was interrupted, it said. In addition, the nearby city of Enerhodar was experiencing problems with its electricity and water supply, it said in a statement.

“Fortunately, the Ukrainian shells did not hit the oil and fuel facility and the nearby oxygen plant, thus avoiding a major fire and possible radiation accident,” he said.

Ukraine’s state-run nuclear power company, Energoatom, previously said Russia had shelled the plant, but it was still operating, and no radioactive material had been released. Two of the six reactors are still operating.

The potential consequences of killing an operating reactor are similar to using an atomic bomb.

Ukraine’s foreign ministry said on Twitter that “the possible consequences of targeting an operating reactor are equivalent to using an atomic bomb,” accusing Russia of resorting to “multiple provocations” at the plant.

The management of the Russian installation of Inruder said on Friday that a Ukrainian artillery strike had cut power lines at the plant. The facility is being operated by its Ukrainian technicians.

Russian troops invaded and captured Enerhodar and the nearby nuclear plant in early March, and are still close to the front line.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blanken accused Moscow on Monday of using the plant as a shield for its forces, and Ukraine accused Russia of shelling it from its positions near the power station. doing.

However, Ukrainian forces have repeatedly attacked the plant with Western weapons, a Russian official stationed in Ukraine said on Wednesday.

Reuters was unable to confirm the battlefield reports.

Ukraine’s foreign ministry urged the international community to “immediately take measures to force Russia” to leave the nuclear plant under Ukrainian control.

The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, said this week that communication with the plant was “fragile” and communications did not work every day. They appealed for access to determine whether it was a source of danger.