Rogers’ blackout is relevant to Shaw’s takeover hearings, Competition Court rules – National | Pro IQRA News

Pro IQRA News Updates.

The Canadian Competition Court has ruled that the Rogers Communications Inc. service outage. July 8 is relevant to upcoming hearings on the telecom giant’s $26 billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

The decision was made on Friday after hearing submissions from Rogers and the Competition Commissioner on the matter.

The outage affected millions of Canadians, and to ensure it doesn’t happen again, Rogers is providing $10 billion over three years for network upgrades and will spend $150 million on customer credit.

Read more:

Rogers said upgrading the network after the outage would cost $261 million, but no timeline was given

The decision comes after Rogers released an ad last week outlining what he was doing to regain the trust of Canadians.

In a separate court document filed on Aug. 15 and made publicly available Monday, the court said the proposed sale of Shaw Freedom Mobile’s wireless carrier to Videotron Ltd. Quebecor Inc is not an “effective remedy” because it “fails to eliminate the substantial reductions and competition deterrence” that the transaction could cause.

Story continues under ads

Rogers intends to sell Freedom to Quebecor for $2.85 billion, hoping the move will ease federal regulators’ concerns about Shaw’s proposed takeover.


Click to play video: 'Rogers outage raises lawsuit, compensation questions, competition'







Rogers blackout raises lawsuits, compensation questions, competition


Rogers blackout raises lawsuit, compensation questions, competition – July 11, 2022

© 2022 Canadian Press

.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Latest News & Updates

- Advertisment -