Russia behind ‘war crimes’ bombing of Mariupol theater: Amnesty ProIQRA News

News Details

A theater sheltering civilians in the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol in March was possibly affected by a Russian air strike on a war crime, Amnesty International said in a report published on Thursday.

“So far, we have been talking about an alleged war crime. Now we can clearly say that it was one committed by the Russian armed forces,” said Oksana Poklachik, head of Amnesty’s Ukraine branch. Told P.

- Advertisement -

“The explosions were caused by something really big: two 500-kilogram (1,100-pound) bombs” dropped from a plane, he denied Russian claims, adding that the theater had been set up with false flags belonging to the city’s Ukrainian guards. Was targeted in the attack.

Nevertheless, the group also found that the death toll may be lower than initially believed.

Amnesty spoke to dozens of survivors and witnesses about the March 16 strike and collected evidence, including photographs of the scene, video and satellite images, and documents, including plans for the destroyed theater.

As a designated refuge since the Russian invasion began on February 24, thousands of people gathered at the theater on different days in early March, hoping to join the evacuation convoys.

Volunteers were distributing essential items such as food, water and blankets, as well as providing medical assistance.

In Mariupol, there were many military targets. They clearly chose civilians, “Pokalchok said, adding that it would have been clear to Russian commanders from drone and satellite images.

In the days before the blast – many departures through unofficial or negotiated humanitarian corridors removed the numbers hidden in the building.

But Amnesty wrote that “a man who volunteered in the field kitchen said he was still cooking for 800 people on the day of the attack.”

An analysis of the impact on the theater suggested an explosion of 400-800 kg of explosives.

Amnesty said the bombs may have come from two 500kg bombs, including evidence-based survivors of the wreckage and details of Russian operations in the region at the moment.

The group, meanwhile, has not gathered any evidence to support Russia’s claim of a false flag attack.

Based on eyewitness accounts and reports of public deaths, “Amnesty International believes that at least a dozen people were killed in the attack, but it is also possible that many additional casualties were not reported,” the group said. Added.

City of Mariupol officials provided an initial estimate of about 300 deaths, but the Associated Press reports that the number could be as high as 600.

“It’s good news that fewer people have been killed. But that doesn’t change anything. It’s still clearly a war crime,” Poklechk said.

Read all the latest news, breaking news, top videos and live TV here.

.

The Ultimate Managed Hosting Platform
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Latest News & Updates

- Advertisment -